I got my MRI results on Tuesday.
There is no discernable stress fracture (line) so I was diagnosed with a stress reaction – simply an impending stress fracture if I keep doing what I am doing. I was given the option to complete the PPA – but was advised to stop if I feel any pain. Bottom line: it might be ok or it might make things worse in terms of recovery time which at this point is 6 weeks of no running but cross training is ok.
In 6 weeks, I will get re-x-rayed and (I really hope) cleared to run again.
So the question for me was whether or not I should do one more PPA. It has been a long few days and the short version is: after talking about it, debating it, listing mental pros and cons, getting a second (more cautionary) medical opinion and pretty much driving everyone around me crazy, I have decided to sit this year out.
Clearly I am not a competitive athlete, but I really wanted to be a part of it one more time… I spent my summer training for the mountain. I have put in the training, the miles, the countless hours on the trail, summit house pickles and hitching rides down with other runners… I did get to go on the journey even if I won’t make the destination this time.
A really dear friend of mine said something that means a lot to me and I think it’s true:
Race day is just a specific day on the calendar and should not define the athlete. The hours, weeks, and months are what define the athlete. You have fought a great fight with the rest of us and would have PRed before the stress fracture.
Like I said, I appreciate that thought and I helps me feel better about my decision. I’m not going to lie, I am bummed and I have shed a few tears …and I might shed a few more before Saturday. But the risk of being out longer or even worse, being out of any type of activity really scares me.
I am looking forward to being there for my husband and all my friends -who have trained so hard – when they cross that finish line!