Quinoa, Squash, Tofu and Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (washed)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- you can add a red pepper (for color) with the onion
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic (and pepper if you have it), and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through
- Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
- If using frozen tofu, defrost and cut into cubes (or just cut into cubes if using sprouted tofu)
- add 1 squash (diced) and 1 zuchini (diced) to the cubed tofu into a baking dish
- you can season this with some more cumin or even some taco seasoning
- drizzle a little olive oil on the tofu/squash/zuchini mix and bake it at 400 for about 20 minutes
mix this combo into the quinoa above – it is much more “hearty” this way.