Vegan Asian Noodles
my version of asian noodles modified and adapted from several online recipes including one by Rachael Ray….
- 1 pound whole wheat, whole grain spaghetti or soba noodles
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package west soy (or other) seiten- cut small.
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 small red pepper chopped.
- Mushrooms of your choice –sliced.
- ¼ head of red cabbage chopped small
- 2 small heads of baby bok choy chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger root, grated
- 1/3 to ½ cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1-2 tablespoons of organic brown sugar
- 2 limes, zest and juice of 1, the other cut into wedges, divided
- other hot or chili sauce, to taste
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Cilantro , chopped, for garnish
Optional protein: shelled edamame, chick pea, any type of bean or lentil
Prepare the pasta per package instructions. Set aside
Heat oil in a large sauté pan, add garlic and heat for 30 seconds. Add chopped onion and red pepper and cook until soft/translucent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking. Once mushrooms are cooked down a bit, add the grated ginger and continue to simmer. Throw the seiten in with any additional optional protein.
Mix the tamari sauce with the brown sugar – I tasted this as I mixed to get the perfect sweet/sour combo that we like. Add about 1 tsp of hot sauce – mix well and then pour into the above mixture.
Add lime zest and juice and the bok choy/cabbage – steam for a few minutes.
Pour the above combination over the pasta and mix/toss. Mix in chopped lettuce and top with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.