Sonal’s Version of a Veggie/Tofu Pot Pie
Bisquick Mix – get the heart healthy version … has no transfats, no hydrogenated crap
1 package of firm or extra firm tofu (I like to freeze it and later defrost for a firmer texture). If you are lucky enough to have access to sprouted tofu – use it!
Yves vegan tofu crumbles
1 cup of vegetable broth + 1 cup of water ( 2 cups total fluid)
1/4 cup of Earth Balance butter
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups non-dairy “milk” (soy, hemp, rice, almond -all will work)
seasonings: tsp of thyme or oregano, tsp of cayenne pepper (or to taste), 1 tsp of cumin
1 zucchini chopped
1 yellow squash chopped
1 white onion chopped
a package of mushrooms – whatever kind you like
2 Serrano peppers
- defrost tofu (can be done the day before by moving it to fridge from freezer) and cut into cubes and spread the cubes on the bottom of a 13X9 glass pan
- Defrost tofu crumbles and add to the tofu cubes in the pan.
- melt earth balance butter in pot, add flour and cook about a minute, whisk in the broth/water, “milk” and seasoning. Cook until fully thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the thickened sauce over the tofu combo
- sauté the chopped squash, zucchini, onion, peppers and mushrooms in some olive oil you can season these with some salt, pepper
- layer sautéed veggies over the sauce in the pan
- make 3 cups of biquick mix, using the recipe on the box for drop biscuits – I added some additional cayenne pepper to the biscuit mix because we like it spicy.
- drop the bisquick topping over the veggies in spoonfuls.
- bake at 400 degrees until biscuit topping looks done.